Wellness & Recovery/Peer Support Specialist
DescriptionSHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Amerigroup, a proud member of the Anthem, Inc. family of companies focused on serving Medicaid, Medicare and uninsured individuals, it’s a powerful combination. It’s the foundation upon which we’re creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve.
Responsible for care coordination and/or care management activities focused on the Wellness and Recovery of Amerigroup members. The Wellness & Recovery Specialist is an active member of the corporate Peer Support and Recovery program and provides peer support services to clients with serious mental illnesses and/or substance use disorders through telephonic operations.
The Peer Specialist will function as a role model to members; demonstrating expertise in personal recovery and use of coping skills; serves as a consumer advocate, provides consumer information and peer support for members. The peer specialist performs a range of tasks to engage, motivate and inspire members to participate in their recovery, regain independence within the community and promote optimal wellness.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
•Teach and role model the value of the member’s recovery experience.
•Models effective coping techniques and self-help strategies.
•Serve as a recovery agent by providing and advocating for recovery-based services to assist the members in daily living.
•Identify opportunities for engagement of members in forming a supportive, peer recovery network.
•Assist members in working with their case manager or treatment team in determining the steps he/she needs to take to achieve these goals and self-directed recovery.
•Assist members in setting up and sustaining self-help (mutual support) groups, as well as means of locating and joining existing groups.
•Initiates and maintains contact with assigned members to determine members’ engagement and response to services.
•Assist members understand Peer Recovery resources available within the local community.
•Assist members in identifying recovery resources, supports, remove barriers, and facilitate connections in the local community
•Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams as a member advocate in discharge planning education, resolution of barriers, and service transitions.
•Acts as a resource for staff on decision making and problem-solving as it relates to the peer role.
•Utilize tools such as the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) to assist clients in creating their wellness and recovery plans.
•Assist clients in developing empowerment skills and combating stigma through self-advocacy
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Anthem. We require all new candidates to become vaccinated against Covid-19. All offers of employment are conditioned on completion of a background check, including COVID-19 vaccination verification. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Anthem approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Anthem is able to reasonably accommodate. Anthem will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
This position requires you to have State or National Peer Support Certification at the time of application.
• Must be located in the area with the ability to be field-based and travel up to 75%.
• 2 years of experience in peer support, health services, or behavioral health field is required
or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
• State or National Peer Specialist Certification required.
• One year experience working as a Peer Support Specialist, after receiving certification.
• Experience working with computers toggling back and forth through multiple screens.
• Experience with researching resources
• Knowledge of the Recovery process and the ability to facilitate recovery using established standardized mental health processes.
• Knowledge and skill to teach and engage in basic problem-solving strategies to support individual clients in self-directed recovery.
• Knowledge of the signs and symptoms of mental illness & substance use disorders.
• Knowledge and skills sufficient to use community resources necessary for independent living and ability to teach those skills to other individuals with severe mental illness.
• Knowledge of how to establish and sustain self-help (mutual support) and educational groups by soliciting input from the mental health consumers on their strengths and interests.
• A valid driver’s license
• 2-year experience working as a Peer Support Specialist, after certification received
• Knowledge of care coordination and case management concepts
• Telephonic and field-based customer service
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Anthem, Inc. is ranked as one of America’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine and has been named a 2019 Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Anthem promotes the delivery of services in a culturally competent manner and considers cultural competency when evaluating applicants for all Anthem positions.
Please be advised that Anthem only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Anthem. Accordingly, Anthem is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Anthem. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Anthem.