Senior Government Relations Director
DescriptionSHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc., it’s a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we’re creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America's leading health care companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.
Please Note: ALL candidates must submit a cover letter in addition to a resume for this position to be considered.
Location: Prefer Washington, DC, but will consider candidates from any location.
The Senior Government Relations Director is responsible for developing and executing strategies to advocate in the most complex legislative and regulatory environments on behalf of FGS (Federal Government Services), an independent subsidiary of Anthem, Inc. Specifically, through advocacy and business development activities, support the retention and enhancement of FGS’ existing government business portfolio, while supporting the creation, identification and procurement of new business that will meet the company’s revenue and profitability goals. This position will report to the Vice President of Federal and External Affairs, with a dotted line relationship to the FGS leadership team.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and executes advocacy and business development strategies within legislative and regulatory environments to support and achieve business goals and objectives.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with legislators, government agencies, and other relevant entities, as defined by FGS leadership, to support and achieve business goals and objectives.
- Partners with FGS leadership to inform and support business planning processes and proactively raise and address issues of concern.
- Makes internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the company.
- Develops coalitions and directs grassroots capabilities to support and achieve business goals and objectives.
- Manages contracted lobbying staff and develops strategies for utilizing PAC and/or corporate political contributions.
- Serves as a leader in trade associations and other advocacy organizations to influence their positions, tactics, and strategies to support FGS business goals and objectives.
- Supports FGS leadership with market research and insights, constituent outreach, developing communications to promote the FGS value proposition, developing business development/growth playbooks, and content development for proposal response and other growth-related initiatives.
- Requires a BA/BS in a related field; 10 years of legislative, regulatory, political, public affairs or industry experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- MS preferred.
- Ability to travel.
- Excellent Verbal, Written, and Presentation Skills.
- Extensive experience writing and developing effective and motivating content for advocacy activities.
- Experience interacting confidently with senior internal and external stakeholders, while being adept and comfortable with influencing decision-making.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office products, most notably Teams, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Salesforce and/or equivalent customer relationship management platform.
- Experience developing successful relationships and communicating value proposition to senior-level contacts within government agencies.
- Experience developing and managing strategic advocacy activities that achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience relating to healthcare policy and business.
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Anthem, Inc. has been named as a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, is ranked as one of the 2020 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a 2020 America’s Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Anthem promotes the delivery of services in a culturally competent manner and considers cultural competency when evaluating applicants for all Anthem positions.
Please be advised that Anthem only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Anthem. Accordingly, Anthem is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Anthem. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Anthem.