Associate Medical Director - AIM Specialty Health
DescriptionSHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At AIM Specialty Health (AIM), a proud member of the Anthem, Inc. family of companies, it’s a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we’re creating greater care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve.
We are currently seeking a versatile Board Certified Physician to participate in pre-authorization reviews of high-tech diagnostic imaging, cardiac testing and sleep management services. Medical Directors in Clinical Operations determine the medical necessity of outpatient radiology, cardiology and sleep management requests using clinical guidelines and health plan medical policy.
Location: Remote, work from home.
Successful candidates will:
- Perform physician-level case review, following initial nurse review, of high-tech diagnostic imaging. Imaging modalities include CT, CTA, MRI, MRA, PET, and Nuclear Cardiology.
- Determine medical necessity of requests using AIM Medical Necessity Guidelines and client-specific health plan medical policy.
- Conduct peer-to-peer discussions with ordering physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners to provide education regarding established guidelines and accepted standards of care as they pertain to the use of diagnostic imaging studies, cardiac testing and sleep management services.
- Suggest alternatives services to ordering providers when appropriate.
- Document the pre-certification review in a complete, concise, and accurate manner in the pre-certification computer application.
- Demonstrate and maintain current knowledge of modalities and new applications of known technologies for diagnostic imaging, cardiac services and sleep management.
- As necessary, assist pre-certification nurses and other staff in understanding the principles behind appropriate utilization of covered modalities.
- Participate in periodic physician team meetings.
- Demonstrate and maintain knowledge of relevant policies and regulations pertaining to utilization review of diagnostic imaging procedures, cardiac services and sleep management.
- Participate on committees or in work groups as needed for revision of clinical guidelines and/or serve as a subject matter expert.
- Perform first level provider appeals as designated by the client for adverse determinations.
- Obtain additional state licensure based upon business needs.
- Adhere to all AIM Specialty Health Management protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Current unrestricted medical license(s) as a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- Board Certification by American Board of Medical Specialties is required (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of current practice standards in specialty
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy with the ability to learn new applications
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Anthem. We require all new candidates to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Anthem approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Anthem is able to reasonably accommodate. Anthem will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Anthem, Inc. has been named as a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, is ranked as one of the 2020 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a 2020 America’s Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. Anthem is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
Please be advised that Anthem only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Anthem. Accordingly, Anthem is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Anthem. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Anthem.